January 19, 2003


Nick and Alexei have complained that I don't have comments enabled, so I'm turning them on for all future entries.

I haven't had comments turned on before because with all respect to y'all who are reading this, I'm writing this for me as much as for anyone who reads it, and it doesn't really make sense to solicit comments on what's essentially a personal journal. At the same time, I suppose I ought to recognize that as long as I make this public, people will read it, and if any of them want to respond they may prefer to do so on the web page instead of via email. With that in mind, comment away.

Old ID cards are useful

I stopped by Stanford a few times last week to take advantage of the free Internet connection. On one of those visits, I wandered into the campus Wells Fargo branch to change the address on my account.

After asking for my driver's license and Social Security number, the teller asked for my Stanford ID. I laughed, said that I'd graduated a year and a half ago, and asked if she still wanted it. Yep; she still did. Weird. Fortunately, I had it on me (Stanford IDs don't have expiration dates, so the ID comes in handy every so often if I feel like being cheap and getting a student discount on a movie ticket), and she was happy to use it for an additional form of identification. I still found it pretty silly, though -- I wonder what off-campus branches ask for instead. And I wonder what she would've done if I'd never attended Stanford, or if I decided to stop carrying my ID around after graduation.

Of course, I found out later that I could change my account addresses online...even the one for my Wells Fargo credit card, which I couldn't change at the bank. I guess I should've tried that in the first place.

Posted at 04:11 PM | TrackBack | Disclaimer

Dents and scratches

I suppose it's all but impossible to get through a move without damaging some things, but that won't keep me from trying. Unfortunately, I haven't been successful so far.

On my trip down here, I dropped my TiBook while trying to take it out of its case. It fell onto a thin carpet from about three feet up. Fortunately, the only damage I've noticed so far is a slight bulge in the case right around the battery bay, at a point where the case is really thin. The hard drive and screen appear to be OK. I'm annoyed at myself for dropping it, but I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.

Then this morning, Ruby came back from Costco and put some cans down on the dining room table a bit too hard. Net result: a slight scratch. It's not too noticeable if you're not looking for it, but like a stuck pixel, once you know it's there it's tough to avoid seeing it. Oh, well...the table managed to get through about a year and a half in great shape, so having only a single small scratch isn't too bad, I suppose.

Posted at 04:05 PM | TrackBack | Disclaimer


An AT&T technician came by yesterday to set up our cable and Internet connections in time for today's Eagles game, so I'm happy. I'm now enjoying a rather fast Internet connection from home -- noticeably faster than the DSL connection we had through Verizon/Isomedia in Redmond.

Better yet is that everything works great through that connection. I can send mail through AT&T's SMTP server with 'ejalbert@cs.stanford.edu' as my return address, I can connect to Stanford's news server, and the best (and most surprising) news is that with my AirPort base station set up as a bridge, both of my computers are getting their own IP addresses. I don't think the connection is supposed to work that way, but I'm certainly not complaining.

On the other hand, we still don't have phone service (which is also provided by AT&T). It was supposed to be set up between 8 and 11 Friday morning, but nobody showed. When I called, I was told that they actually meant 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., and that I was supposed to wait at home the entire time. I protested, and after a few minutes I was told that they didn't actually need to come into our apartment to set up phone service (which I could've told them a long time ago) and that it would all be set up by 11 that night. Now it's Sunday, and 10 phone calls to AT&T later the line still isn't turned on. Meanwhile, I got a letter in the mail yesterday -- Saturday-- telling me that I had to be at home from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday so they could set up the phone line. Yay.

Posted at 02:10 PM | TrackBack | Disclaimer